When you are dealing with urine odoroften you do not have a stain or anything visible indication to show you where the urine odor is originating from, or where the problem is.I am going to discuss the different methods of finding these areas. We have several tools available to locate them.
It is very important to locate each area because if you don’t find all the problem areas, you will not be able to completely eliminate the urine smell. Each spot needs to be treated. It needs to be treated with the correct chemicals and in the correct way if you want to get 100% odor removal. The steps you take change depending on how severe your urine odor problem is.
The tools available are our eyes, our nose, ultraviolet (UV) lights, and moisture detector.
Eye’s If you actually see the area where the dog is urinating, or when there is a yellow stain left on the surface of the carpet, this is when we use our eyes to locate the area. If you can look at the back of a loose carpet or rug and inspect it, many times there will be stains left that are obvious when nothing is visible otherwise. This is true with other fabrics also. The stains will look like water stains and sometimes there will be a white salt residue. If the carpet is not loose but is installed you can still pull it up off the tack strip and look at the backing. This then will need to be stretched or kicked back in again onto the tack strip. You can also use the alternative injection method of treating the urine odor.
NOSE Obviously the nose is a great tool for locating the contaminated areas.We may enter a home or a room and immediately smell the presence of odors associated with urine. Sometimes it is strong and sometimes it is a faint urine odor. Determining the precise location of the smell is more difficult. In part this is because air currents diffuse the odor. Closing any open windows, turning off ceiling fans, heating or air conditioner and other sources of air movement will make it easier to locate the source. Remember that most women are more sensitive to odors than men. If you are a male with less than a great nose for odors you may benefit from a female assisting you.
With a little information and help 90% of these problems can be corrected at home. The other 10% you may want to hire a professional.
To remove urine there are several things you will want to consider. In a dog urine removal situation you need to analyze the extent of the damage that you have. Consider this, if a small dog (10-15 lb dog) deposits approximately 2 1/2 ounces of urine each time he/she urinates. And if he/she urinates only 2 times a day, in one month that is just under 1 ¼ gallons of urine. In one year it is over 14 gallons. So ask yourself, approximately how long has the urine been accumulating?
Did you catch it right away or has this been going on for some time? Is it spread out in smaller amounts over a larger area or has it been concentrated in only two or three small spots?
This example is considering a small dog, 10-15 pounds. What if you are dealing with a large dog or two? Obviously the larger the dog the larger the amount of urine. The answers to these questions change the steps necessary to remove the urine effectively and completely. Don’t be discouraged there are solutions to even the severe situations. To assess the damage and to locate all the urine spots you have see our “Urine Odor locate the source” and “Pet Urine, scale of severity” posts.
And who can blame them? Of course that is what they want. Isn’t that what we would all want?
In this blog I will tell you exactly how to do just that. But only if your problem is a minor or light problem. If it is more than that (a moderate or severe problem) then it most definitely is going to take more to eliminate it. It can still be done effectively but it will not be quite as quick and easy.
We will discuss step by step how to deal with the minor problems and what types of products are affective for that. We will also discuss the different degrees of dog urine damage. From minor to severe damage. And step by step how to take care of each. What products and procedures to use to get the best results. Keep in mind with dog urine we are dealing with several different issues. We have the odor. We have thestain. We have the contamination and in the case of dead or dying grass we have the nitrogen and PH of the urine to address. Some products are designed to eliminate more than one problem at a time. In most cases though, it takes a multi-step solution to achieve the desired results.